Sunday, December 4, 2011

I'm sitting at my desk looking out my window.  Numerous trucks laden with tree branches have passed on Main Street, I'm assuming on the way to the dump that has been opened today to accommodate these truckloads.  LDS church meetings are cancelled today as able-bodied folks are preparing for yet another predicted major storm to smash into the area later tonight.

Thursday morning I sat in this same spot and watched as the large pine tree outside my window looked like it might be uprooted in the storm.  The ground around the tree was heaving.  Scott Durrant broke my transfixed stare as he ushered me out of my office to safer ground just in case that tree decided to come crashing down.

So we closed the Art Center and I spent the next several hours visiting the newly opened Museum of Natural History with my husband and some of my grandchildren.  I was transfixed again as I watched depictions of life at the molecular level.  The display showing live brine shrimp was truly fascinating.  I never realized how intricate and graceful they are!

All these recent events and observations have awakened in me a sense of wonder at how precious are all living things and that sometimes, in our crazy,busy lives, priorities get skewed.

It comes down to the importance of living each moment. And being grateful for all life has to offer and also knowing that there is a much larger force that moves things along in a well-ordered course though to us at times it seems that things are as topsy-turvy as the branches and garbage cans along Main Street today.

I sure hope the tree outside my window survives the next storm but if it doesn't, we will be there to pick up the pieces and go on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 Conversations in Culture.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.